Postdoctoral Associate - Radiation Oncology(#97)
Job posting number: #7122351 (Ref:pt10097)
Posted: January 28, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionDr. Yvonne Mowery with the Department of Radiation Oncology at the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is recruiting for the position of Postdoctoral Associate. The goal of the Mowery Lab is to make discoveries that guide the design of improved treatment strategies for patients with head and neck cancer. We have a particular interest in understanding the molecular underpinnings of radiation resistance in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma and immune dysregulation in the tumor microenvironment. We leverage molecular biology techniques, genetically engineered mouse models, and patient-derived tissue specimens to conduct our research.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- A candidate may also be appointed to a postdoctoral position if the candidate has completed all of the requirements for a degree but the degree has not been formally conferred: in this case, the candidate must present evidence of completion of the degree requirements, together with a statement documenting the date on which the degree is to be conferred. If the degree is not conferred by this projected date, the postdoctoral appointment may be terminated
- Ability to work as a team with senior scientists, graduate students, technicians, medical students, resident physicians
- Candidates with non-US degrees may be required to provide proof of degree equivalency
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with cell culture
- Experience with flow cytometry is preferred but not required
- Experience with molecular cloning and CRISPR/Cas9 technology is preferred but not required
- Experience with single cell RNA sequencing is preferred but not required
- Holds a PhD or MD/PhD (or equivalent degree) in biomedical sciences or physics
- Passion for biomedical research and team science
- Track record of scientific productivity (publications)
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Assist with preparation of grant applications.
- Compliance with good scholarly and research practice.
- Conformance to standards of responsible conduct in research.
- Design and perform experiments in gene editing, molecular pharmacology, molecular cloning, cell biology and biochemistry.
- Develop and utilize technology for analyzing signal transduction in vitro and in vivo.
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Maintain an organized and complete laboratory notebook detailing all experiments in electronic format.
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by complying with regulations and following standards and procedures.
- Meet with PI regularly and keep PI informed of all important positive and negative results.
- Organize overall research plan and design, execute, and troubleshoot individual experiments.
- Perform cytotoxicity and clonogenic assays in vitro to evaluate effects of drugs and genetic modifications on radiation sensitivity of cell lines.
- Perform flow cytometry to characterize circulating peripheral blood mononuclear cells and tumor-infiltrating immune cells.
- Perform tumor growth delay and survival experiments in mouse models of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Prepare manuscripts for scientific publication with PI supervision.
- Prepare samples for whole exome sequencing, RNA sequencing, and scRNA sequencing and perform bioinformatics analysis of sequencing data
- Protect lab and organization's value by keeping research information confidential.
- Provide a friendly working environment and be available to teach laboratory techniques and scientific methodology to research technicians and other trainees.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, networking and presenting at local, national and international meetings, and reading current primary literature.
Application Instructions:Visit join.pitt.edu and view requisition number: 23000340