Medical Assistant I
Baylor College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7122299 (Ref:14596-en_US)
Posted: January 28, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The section of Transition Medicine (TM) is seeking a reliable Medical Assistant I to be a part of the TM group to support our clinicians providing services to patients. The ideal candidate will have primarily MAI responsibilities (performing routine patient care i.e. rooming/vitals) and scheduling for TM providers. The Medical Assistant will assist in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the physician.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities ex. rooming and vital signs.
- Documents the primary complaint/reason for the visit.
- Collects patient social history, enter/reconcile medications into patient's chart, and update patient's pharmacy.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned, which may include: scan patient medical records; obtain outside labs/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information; completing forms/requisitions as needed during the visit.
- Performs clinic procedures for example point of care influenza, Strep, pregnancy, and HemoglobinA1c test, urine dipstick, 12-Lead EKG, Ear irrigation, administer immunizations/medications (Intramuscular injections), provide nebulizer treatment, set up Pap Smear tray, assist provider with wound care, and, PPD placement.
- Maintains refrigerator temperature log.
- Stocks exam rooms with needed supplies and forms. Make a list of clinic supplies, immunization, and medication needed before using the last stock.
- Handles patient calls, refill requests, refill responses, MyChart refill requests, patient MyChart messages, Result notes, Staff messages and, letters.
- Works with providers on extended clinic hours and assign to cover clinic during lunchtime.
- Transports patient to the Emergency Center when it's needed.
- Gives handover report to staff when leaving early for the day.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of an approved Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration Required: Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA). New employees who are not currently certified, must obtain certification within six months of employment.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through American Heart Association
- Prior MA experience.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.