Associate Director, Admissions
University of Oklahoma
Job posting number: #7122295 (Ref:ta230272)
Posted: January 27, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Associate Director shares responsibilities for recruiting and enrolling an incoming class of students each year, which is core to the mission (and survival) of the law school. The admissions team consists of a director along with two associate directors. All three positions are essential to achieving the goal of enrolling a qualified class each year and it is critical that we fill our department's third position as soon as possible.
The Associate Director oversees the efforts to identify, recruit, evaluate and enroll prospective students while simultaneously directing daily operations.
- Serve as a member of the University of Oklahoma College of Law Student Services and Admissions teams to recruit JD candidates.
- Administer programs for identifying and recruiting students; conduct tours of OU's College of Law for potential students and their families; visit law firms, schools, colleges, job fairs, and disseminate recruiting, admissions, and scholarship information as directed.
- Assist with administering the recruitment scholarship program and designing and implementing overall recruiting strategy.
- Make presentations about University of Oklahoma College of Law degree programs at job fairs, graduate school fairs, conferences, and pre-Law meetings.
- Conduct informational meetings at undergraduate schools.
- Promote the University of Oklahoma College of Law JD program and answer questions from prospective students by phone, email, instant messaging, text message, social media and in-person.
- Schedule and provide logistical support for informational meetings at various locations around the state and country, in addition to meetings held at the OU College of Law.
- Creates and fosters relationship with high school counselors, students, administration, alumni and stakeholders.
- Participates in professional development conferences and activities.
- Sits on the admissions committee as an advisory member.
- Other duties as assigned, including data entry and other clerical tasks.
Required Education: A graduate degree in the relevant graduate school - program.
Equivalency/Substitution: Will accept 48 months related experience in lieu of the bachelor's degree for a total of 84 months related experience
- Effective written communication skills, including the ability to compose marketing materials, reports, e-mails, social media postings, etc.
- Computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and excel
- Must be able to create and deliver effective presentations to both small and large groups.
- Ability to work independently and exercise superior decision-making skills.
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Frequent travel regionally and nationally for multi-day recruitment events and conferences. 15% - 20% travel required.
- Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to communicate well and build rapport quickly with students, prospective students, faculty and staff.
- Strong initiative to solve problems
- Able to read and interpret policy
- Working knowledge of student privacy laws
- Valid Driver's License required for 15 - 20% travel schedule.
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Ability to bend, lift, stoop and carry and engage in repetitive motions.
- Standard office environment.
- Frequent exposure to pressure caused by deadlines and busy periods.
- Extensive travel
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies.
- Requires contact with other departments and university officials.
- Willingness to work extended and weekend hours during peak periods
- Juris Doctorate from ABA accredited law school.
- Juris Doctorate from the University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Knowledge of University of Oklahoma departments and resources.
- Supervision: along with the other associate director, supervises between 8-12 student employees who serve as our mentors/tour guides.
Special Instructions: If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.