Research Business Director, Manager, Administrator and Pre/Post Award Financial Analyst positions
Job posting number: #7111510 (Ref:10018737)
Posted: September 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Thank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this posting is to recruit for on-going and future positions.
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Summary of the Research Enterprise
As an independent biomedical, treatment and education center, City of Hope is focused on basic and clinical research in cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, and other chronic, life-threatening diseases. Our infrastructure and collaborative energy sets us apart. By having scientists, treatment staff and manufacturing facilities side-by-side, our treatment advances can travel from laboratory to patient with lifesaving speed.
Recognizing our team’s accomplishments in cancer research, treatment, patient care, education and prevention, the National Cancer Institute has designated City of Hope as a comprehensive cancer center. That is an honor reserved for only 50 institutions nationwide.
The Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope’s (BRI) world-renowned staff have been responsible for fundamentally expanding the world’s understanding of how biology affects diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS and diabetes. BRI houses over twenty unique departments, divisions and research centers. Each department within BRI includes internationally-acclaimed scientists and support staff who are among the best in their respective fields, pursuing a diverse range of research.
The result? A history of breakthrough innovations helping patients here and around the world, with even more to come in the years ahead. Over the past five years, the research enterprise at City of Hope has experienced a 34% growth in clinical trial accruals, 54% growth in grant awards and a 108% growth in grant funding.
Research Administration at City Hope is an all-encompassing administrative team working together to assist in advancing the scientific mission at City of Hope. The Research Administration team is continually seeking to connect with qualified candidates interested in filling current and future roles to both sustain first class service for the research enterprise and to exceptionally support future growth and expansion.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Faculty and staff on/off-boarding. Grant proposal preparation and budget development. Financial management of external and internal funding. Internal and external policy and regulatory support.
Shared Resource Administration
- Financial monitoring of income and expenses. Annual fee/rate schedule review and modification. Service line adjustment through survey and analysis.
- Review and approve proposals to be submitted to external sponsors. Review and negotiate award terms and conditions, sign award documents, and initiate the award setup process. Coordinate sponsor requests including: Just-in-Time (JIT), changes in project scope, key personnel, or significant changes in effort. Initiate no-cost extensions and budget revisions
- Award setup. Preparation and submission of interim and final financial reports. Invoice preparation, submission and AR. LOC draws. Award closeout. Expense allowability controls. External audit support.
Positions in these areas include:
- Post-Award Financial Analyst
- OSR Grants and Contracts Administrator
- Pre/Post Award Research Operations Analyst
- Research Business Manager
- Research Business Director
The most qualified candidates will possess extensive knowledge and experience working successfully with faculty and scientists in an academic or clinical research environment.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree with working knowledge of clinical or academic research administration.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Master’s Degree in business or health administration with expert knowledge and a proven track record of success in one or more of the following areas: Department research administration, pre-award grant processing, and post-award grant/contract management. Active membership and/or participation in professional societies such as NCURA, SRA, AACI, NCMA, COGR, or FDP. CRA certification is a plus.
- This is an informational posting for future openings in Research Administration at City of Hope. If interested, please submit an application to have a team member contact you.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.